Re: this post is not off-topic

Well, I can't make the claim that I understood the analogy, so my
apologies for not grasping the connection.

I have no interest in commenting on decisions about release dates, since
that is very much in others' areas of expertise. The question of the value
of social equality, though, is in my expertise, so I'll bite. There are
demonstrated "goods" that occur more, or more frequently, in societies
with lower degrees of internal inequality, *regardless* of absolute degree
of wealth. That is, there are demonstrable benefits that members of
societies gain by increased equality, even if that equality is the result
of a policy that reduces the potential attainment of some sector of the
society.  Crime rates are an obvious, and well-documented,
example; theorized, but poorly researched, is the possibility that
industrial productivity is a similar characteristic.

There. Now it's *really* off-topic :)

ap

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu