VIA 8233 & ALSA

Hi,
As a newbie, I've been struggling to get my VIA 8233 onboard sound working on my freshly installed Debian Woody system. So far I've managed to get my USB mouse working, compiled from source the Linux kernel to 2.4.18 etcetera All this within a weeks time. But now I'm stuck with the audio. According to everyone I've got to install the ALSA package, which I did. But you guessed it right, no luck thus far. While roaming the net for info, I've come accross several people with the same question. Maybe someone can write a good installation script/manual/howto etc. to once and for all settle this subject?

Many thanks in advance,

Bert van Ooijen
bvanooijen@zeelandnet.nl