Re: home network with mac

> /etc/network/interfaces file.  It reads:
>    iface lo inet loopback
>    iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.50
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.1.0
>         broadcast 192.168.1.255
> Does this look correct?  I'm not sure if I need to do anything to have
> my machine use the ethernet card (connected to the switch and mac) for
> ftp when I haven't used the modem to dialup the internet.  I realize I'm
> not being very clear here, but any help (and all the advice so far
> given) is greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

you may want to put the line
   auto lo eth0
at the beginning of your interfaces file. also, if support for your
network card is not baked in the kernel, you should load the module for
it at startup. put a line
   alias eth0 <module-for-your-nic>
in /etc/modutils/network or something (name does't matter) and run
$ update-modules

this will get your networking up at boottime.
greetz,

Joris