Re: Can't remove Xemacs .dpkg

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:46:11AM -0500, glenlee@members.fcwm.org wrote:
> I can't get the xemacs dpkgs to work the way I want them to, so I'm
> trying to remove them from my system.  However, Debian has its own
> idea on this.  Not only will it not allow me to remove all of xemacs,
> but since I've created some dependency problems it won't allow me to
> add in any other packages either.

apt-get tries very hard to keep the system consistent at all times.
Other tools are more lenient.

> I've tried the following to remove xemacs21-bin with the stated results:
>
> $ dpkg -r xemacs21-bin
> (Reading database ... 53268 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing xemacs21-bin ...
> update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a symlink to
> /etc/alternatives/editor.1.gz: No such file or directory

Either:

  * Create the directory /usr/man/man1 as a workaround;

or:

  * Edit /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/editor and change all references to
    /usr/man to refer to /usr/share/man instead.

This is most likely a bug in update-alternatives, but nobody's been able
to track it down yet.

By the way, your To: line is weird - it made it a little difficult to

  To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org"@members.fcwm.org

Cheers,