Re: unresolved symbols on Woody with a RH module

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:11:46PM -0500, whbell@bell-cs.com wrote:
> Quoting Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>:
> > You're going to have to contact the supplier for a module built against
> > a more recent kernel then ... CONFIG_MODVERSIONS can paper over some
> > problems, but not all of them.
>
> Thats what I figured :(  Help from my supplier is not really an option
> in the short term, but you can bet they will deliver a kernel patch if
> I have my way :)
>
> If I downgrade to a 2.4.7 kernel, (with memory problems and all), do I
> have a chance this module will work?

The chance is really quite considerably better, yes.

> If so, How do I find the 2.4.7 kernel-source.deb? (Archives?)
>
> Would using the 2.4.7 kernel source from RH 7.2 help for compatability?

Either that or the plain source from kernel.org. Hard to say ...

> I know I can get the source from kernel.org instead if needed, but do
> I loose any "good" stuff in the way of Debian kernel patches or such?

Here's the README.Debian from kernel-source-2.4.18, listing the patches
currently applied in the Debian source:

kernel-source for DEBIAN
------------------------

These patches were applied:

* NFS client seekdir patch
  http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/

These modifications were also made:

* Fixed a couple of argument processing bugs in main.c (Eric Delaunay).
* Added initrd support for cramfs.
* Exported proc_get_inode.
* Hacked ide_xlate_1024 to work when IDE is modularised.
* Fixed pegasus_set_multicast lockup.
* Work around 21143 (rev 65) select_media bug in drivers/net/tulip/21142.c.
* Fixed dead lock on shutdown in 8139too.
* Allow ECN to be compiled in but disabled.
* Removed non-free Keyspan firmware.
* Don't kill page cache entries in set_blocksize.
* Added support for nm256xl+ (Mattia Monga).
* Fixed handling of HIDs with product strings bug no manufacturer.
* CONFIG_SERIAL_ACPI now depends on CONFIG_SERIAL == y.
* Fixed negative inode numbers in /proc/net (Arnaud Giersch).
* pcnet32_purge_tx_ring may be called from IRQ context (Darren Salt).
* Check old_bbpnt in drivers/scsi/sr.c (2.5).
* Removed CONFIG_FT_ALPHA_CLOCK.
* Export est_cycle_freq (needed for removing CONFIG_FT_ALPHA_CLOCK).
* Fixed the use of return values from mem*_io in drivers/isdn/sc.
* Added missing headers in drivers/pcmcia/i82092.c.
* Fixed compile error in drivers/scsi/dpt_i2o.c on alpha.
* Removed -g from driviers/atm/Makefile.
* Added missing personality patch to fs/binfmt_elf.c.
* Extern inline -> static inline in
   drivers/char/specialx.c
   drivers/net/hamradio/soundmodem
* Added asm/io.h for in*/out* to
   drivers/isdn/hisax/hisax_fcpcipnp.c
   drivers/net/wan/farsync.c
* Fixed double free in
   drivers/net/zlib.c
   fs/jffs2/zlib.c
* Corrected AdvWriteDWordLramNoSwap in drivers/scsi/advansys.c.
* Added check for VIA KT266 IO-APIC, version == 2.
* Updated pegasus driver (2.4.19pre6).
* Added ATARAID device names to main.c.
* Updated uhci driver (Johannes Erdfelt).
* Translate slashes in broken Acorn ISO9660 file systems (Darren Salt).
* Added newline to printk in drivers/sound/i810_audio.c (handler-case@gmx.net).
* Updated parport driver (2.4.19pre6).

Changes to comments and documentation:

* Fixed typos in asm/socket.h.
* Fixed a typo in Documentation/sound/VIBRA16 (Carlos Valdivia Yagüe).
* Fixed a typo in Documentation/sound/OPL3-SA (Carlos Valdivia Yagüe).
* Fixed comment about epochs in arch/alpha/kernel/time.c.

Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
$Id: README.Debian,v 1.51 2002/04/14 00:36:56 herbert Exp $