Re: unresolved symbols on Woody with a RH module

Quoting Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>:

> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 03:29:02PM -0500, whbell@bell-cs.com wrote:
> > I am running Woody with my own 2.4.18 kernel based on the 2.4.18-5 deb
> > package.  I have a supplier that has delivered a kernel module for a
> special
> > software modem that was developed using RH 7.2 with the default 2.4.7
> kernel.
> >
> > I have set CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y but when I try to insmod the module I get
> the
> > following-
> >
> > suDriver.o: unresolved symbol boot_cpu_data_R65dda927
> > suDriver.o: unresolved symbol register_chrdev_R827e2e0f
> > suDriver.o:
> > Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
> >       and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
> >       assistance, only they can help you.
>
> You're going to have to contact the supplier for a module built against
> a more recent kernel then ... CONFIG_MODVERSIONS can paper over some
> problems, but not all of them.

Thats what I figured :(  Help from my supplier is not really an option in the
short term, but you can bet they will deliver a kernel patch if I have my way :)

If I downgrade to a 2.4.7 kernel, (with memory problems and all), do I have a
chance this module will work?

If so, How do I find the 2.4.7 kernel-source.deb? (Archives?)

Would using the 2.4.7 kernel source from RH 7.2 help for compatability?

I know I can get the source from kernel.org instead if needed, but do I loose
any "good" stuff in the way of Debian kernel patches or such?

--
Thanks for the help!
Bill