Re: Debian: local settings?

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:43:14PM -0600, David Jackson wrote:
> Petr --
> No having this correctly set was causing problems with man pages.
> The soluton was to run:
> dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> Which added this line the /etc/locales.gen:
> en_US ISO-8859-1

i see, ok, so it means - at least one of the locales needs to be
selected, right?

another experiences (i might repost it to debian-user): i have a
multi user local system when my users are multi-lingual (english, czech,
german and russian) and i have been using gdm as the login screen. the
strange think is, that i have to before-head generate all the locales which are
needed by the gdm - there is no connection in between gdm and
locale-gen.
another thing: when you generate locales (and use gdm) you
can not set up the default locale, otherwise gdm does not set the locales
properly (edit /etc/environment to repair it, or run locale-conf again).
another think not to point, just ask: how do i set up my X window fonts
to work correctly in this multiuser/multi-lingual situation, that each
locale gets appropriate font?

--

bye

Vanous
Petr Vanek                       ..... ./\.  ....
Debian GNU Linux                 .. _|\|  |/|_ ..
vanous@penguin.cz                .. \        /...
http://www.penguin.cz/~vanous    ... >______< ...
Angus, Ontario, CA               ...... / .......
Registered linux user #217487