EXplanation: Re: Applications not using hosts file for name resolution

Pete Harlan wrote:

This is a wierd but correct behaviour of IPv6 resolution. There are a huge number of bug reports about it.

Do you know the rationale behind IPv6 considering this 'correct'?
If you could explain it for the benefit of myself and everyone else
who gets bit by this and searches the Debian archives, I'd be most
grateful.

It's patently a bug, if only in the IPv6 spec.  Overriding DNS is half
of what we use the hosts file _for_...

Many thanks,

--Pete

(Not the guy who makes Pete's Wicked Ale)

Firstly checkout bug #147997 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=147997&repeatmerged=yes

Then as directed /usr/share/doc/libc6/BUGS.gz (at the end of file).

Buried somewhere in the BTS is the full story of what the exact problem is. As I recall it has something to do with IPv6 resolvers always check DNS 1st in order to dertermine what address family they should use or somesuch. If they get an answer then they never go to the 'normal' resolution process of checking nsswitch etc.

Hopefully someone who knows the libc6 maintainer can get a sane and qualified answer. I wouldnt be suprised if all use of gethostbyaddr() is actually deprecated...

John P Foster