Re: Applications not using hosts file for name resolution

Pat Colbeck wrote:

Hi

I have noticed something starnge about my Woody system. I have to
maintain a hosts file due to some firewall and external DNS weirdness
for some of the hosts in the office. If I ping them then they resolve
via the hosts file but applications like telnet and postfix seem to be
using DNS (thus getting the wrong address). Any ideas why ?

Here is my resolv.conf file from /etc

order hosts bind
domain esc.azlan.co.uk
nameserver 10.44.69.102
nameserver 10.44.65.120

This is a wierd but correct behaviour of IPv6 resolution. There are a huge number of bug reports about it.

Disable IPv6 to get the 'normal' behaviour.

John P Foster ( who is still NOT the guy who makes Foster's Lager)