Re: upgrading from stable to woody

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 06:59:11PM -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
> I was going to ask if one could do this using dselect rather than
> apt-get dist-upgrade, but concluded that it was a dumb question and
> that the answer was obviously 'no'. I guess I was wrong. Do you have
> to do anything special in dselect, or it's just a straight Upgrade?
Yep, should work.  You might want to give aptitude a try tho, a lot of
people (including me) vastly prefer it over dselect.  Make sure you're
using the 'apt' access method tho (AFAIK, it's been the default since
slink).

> When woody becomes stable, we'll just set our sources.list back to
> stable and carry on?
Yes, you can do this.  Remember tho, that current woody distribution
will be called woody until the end of time (barring security updates,
minor package revisions), so if you set your apt line to woody, that's
what you will have, regardless of the 'new' testing or releases.

> I'm also confused about kernels. I think I read that there was a
> choice of kernel versions to use with woody. I guess there's no
> problem with upgrading to woody using the same old kernel?
No problem here, woody is quite happy running a 2.2 kernel.  2.0
(modular ones, anyhow) is out, AFAIK, due to the newer modutils

> I assume that dselect doesn't do kernels.
You can indeed use dselect to install a new kernel; have a look at the
kernel-image-xxx packages.  Since the kernel is such a vital part of the
system tho, and subject to a lot of site-specific configuration, dselect
(and apt and aptitude and...) will never try to upgrade your kernel.  If
you want a newer one, you'll have to install the approriate kernel-image
package yourself.

> Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions after all :-)
The only dumb question is the unasked one;)

-rob