problem with alsa and my via686a card...

ok, I've installed ALSA and attempted to run through it, but where I get really
confused is where you have to edit modules.conf. I guess I'm a bit intimidated
by the lines that say "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!" I wrote in the following lines:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via686a
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

when I look up the module stated from te install file, I see:

snd_mpu_port     - 0x300,0x310,0x320,0x330, otherwise obtain BIOS setup
snd_ac97_clock
 - AC'97 codec clock base (default 48000Hz)

Truthfully, this could all be written in Swahili and I wouldn't know the
difference.I'm totally clueless on what to write in the file, and where to put
the things I wrote. Can someone please help?

Alex