Re: problem with alsa and my via686a card...

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 04:53:19PM -0500, alo@purdue.edu wrote:

   > # ALSA portion
   > alias char-major-116 snd
   > alias snd-card-0 snd-via686a
   > # OSS/Free portion
   > alias char-major-14 soundcore
   > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

Here is a simple method that I use to get alsa working on my systems:

  1. Put all these in a file, say sound, and move it over to /etc/modutils.
     Next time the system boots, it is automatically appended to
     /etc/modules.conf.

  2. If you also have installed alsa-base and alsa-utils,
     there will be an appropriate entry /etc/init.d/alsa. This would take
     care of starting the sound server at bootup.

  3. Use amixer to unmute the channels and set the volume levels. After
     you are comfortable with the levels, use alsactl to store the
     settings. Then on you do not need to woory about it.

  4. If the alsamixer (cli) is not your cup of tea, use gamix.

Here is what I have as /etc/modutils/sound:

    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ymfpci
    options snd-ymfpci snd_index=0 snd_id="Yamaha-YMF724"
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

    options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1

Change the ymf entries to your card definitions.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

No house should ever be on any hill or on anything.  It should be of the hill,
belonging to it.
		-- Frank Lloyd Wright