problems with cdr and cdrom: possibly related to upgrade

I upgraded to sid on Friday night.
My cdrom and cdrecorder were both working fine on Saturday morning.
Saturday evening I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
don't know if my problems relate to this or not.
While my second ide and my cdrom and cdrw are basically recognized according to
dmesg

    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe400-0xe407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe408-0xe40f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
neither cd drive is further recognized and the scsi drivers (am using scsi
emulation) are loaded. If I try to mount /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrecord I get "not
a valid block device". same thing happens if i try scd0 and scd1, sr0 and sr1,
hdc and hdd.
If I try cdrecord -scanbus I get "no such file or directory: cannot open scsi
drivers" (no big surprise there). If I just try running cdrecord I also get
something about not being able to open pg0, somewhat puzzling as I would expect
it to be opening sg0.
The cdrw still opens and closes by pushing the button; the cdrom, which would be
scd1, doiesn't even do this. I also tried recompiling the kernel back to
ide/atapi and results were the same with hdc and hdd.
The first drive on ide1 (my cdrw) does work in dOS; not sure I know how to load
a second one in dOS. also, I installed zipspeak/zipslack-8.0 on my DOS
partition. It puts ide1 on irq15 where it should be and recognizes and works hdc
but doesn't find or mention hdd at all.
Am trying to figure out how much of this could be a hardware problem and how
much, if any, has something to do with something that was upgraded. I hadn't
been playing around with the kernel before this happened, and the computer
hasn't been opened so nobody has been doing any moving or replugging of cables.
One thought was to try to downgrade back to woody to see if the problems
persisted, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that without
re-installing or trying to manualy figure out what packages were upgraded and
downgrade them. Putting "testing" back in for "unstable in /etc/apt/sources.list
does not allow one to downgrade.
I would assume this was a straight hardware problem except that one of the
drives does work in dOS and in zipslack/zipspeak. So at least a part of the
problem would appear to have something to do with my debian sid linux system.
any ideas as to the cause of the problem or suggestions as to further steps to
take would be appreciated.
TIA.

Cheryl