RE: Configuring mod_perl on Debian

I agree with Andrew - getting Apache, Mod_SSL, PHP4 and mod_perl
with PHP4/MySQL and mod_perl/mySQL all co-operating is a relative
doddle with Debian packaging. Especially in view of the volume of
the 'I cant build...' comments on the mod_perl mailing lists.

We usually wget the .debs we want installed as a set, into a dir
e.g. /usr/local/deb/<build date> and then do a
  dpkg -i *.deb
  apt-get check

FYI, these are SOME of the installed packages on our Dev server
yes - it's a bit messy, but it's potato flavoured, with woody
extras, and we don't seem to have any issues.
apache         1.3.23-1    Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
apache-common  1.3.23-1    Support files for all Apache webservers
libapache-mod-ssl 2.8.7-1  Strong cryptography (HTTPS support)
libssl0.9.6    0.9.6c-1    SSL shared libraries

mysql-client   3.23.46-2   mysql database client binaries
mysql-common   3.23.46-2   mysql database common files
libmysqlclient 3.23.38-2   mysql database client library

perl           5.6.1-7     Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and
libperl5.6     5.6.1-7     Shared Perl library.

libapache-dbi-perl 0.88-5  Connect apache server to database via
libapache-mod-perl 1.26-2  Integration of perl with the Apache web
libapache-reload-perl 0.07-1  Reload changed modules in a mod_perl
libapache-request-perl 0.33-1 Generic Apache Request Library
libapache-session-perl 1.54-1 Perl modules for keeping persistent
libapache-ssi-perl 2.16-1  perl Apache::SSI - Implement Server Side
libdbd-mysql-perl 1.2216-2 mySQL database interface for Perl
libdbi-perl    1.21-2      The Perl5 Database Interface by Tim Bunce

php4           4.1.2-1     A server-side, HTML-embedded scripting
php4-mysql     4.1.2-1     MySQL module for php4
php4-pear      4.1.2-1     PEAR - PHP Extension Application Reposit