Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraphflows in mozilla?])

On Monday 27 May 2002 08:37, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 09:42:06PM -0500, Dale Hair wrote:
> > Most Americans tend to be isolationists and pacifists, it took
> > Pearl Harbor to "awaken the sleeping giant".  It actually created a
> > giant "superpower" as we like to refer to ourselves.  Then on Sept.
> > 11 the giant awoke again.  If something like 1939 were to happen
> > again, we will be there.
>
> So how exactly did Desert Shield, Desert Storm, the occupation of
> Somolia, the invasion of Nicaragua, Korea, Vietnam, and the Cold War
> somehow not count as wars?  America is a hostile nation.

This contradiction is only apparent.
While it's perhaps true that most citizen of the USA (*) are pacifist,
most of them are also unaware of what their government _actually_ do in
the matter of foriegn affairs.
CIA's "School of the Americas" trained military men from most countries
in South America in torturing and dirty war techniques. US supported
economically and politically all of the coups d'etat during the '70s,
mainly to stop the lefty political movements and guerrillas.

Some 30000 souls were tortured and killed or dissapeared only in
Argentina. It was easier, cheaper and cleaner that an open invasion.
Some friends of mine who traveled to the US were surprised nobody knew
about that, and in fact, many got offended at the sole mention.

In fact, I believe US is not an hostile nation, but it has an hostile
government, and certainly, and isolationistic population. I find very
hard to believe that the common US citizen would be proud of what US
government does in / with foreing countries if they _actually knew_
what it happens outside.

In a visit to Argentina in early '80s, US musician and geek Laurie
Anderson said in an interview that "US people is like a huge baby,
sleeping the American dream". I hope that the huge baby (and not the
military power) wake up before it's too late.

(*) I'm american too, but from a southern country, so I used the more
specific "US citizen".
--
Daniel Toffetti     ---     'There is no spoon...' - The Matrix
Running Debian Sid version 3.0 with Linux 2.4.13 i686