Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraphflows in mozilla?])

> This contradiction is only apparent.
> While it's perhaps true that most citizen of the USA (*) are pacifist,
> most of them are also unaware of what their government _actually_ do in
> the matter of foriegn affairs.

This is true, but I think most US citizens prefer to not know these
things, just let the government do what they think best.

> CIA's "School of the Americas" trained military men from most countries
> in South America in torturing and dirty war techniques. US supported
> economically and politically all of the coups d'etat during the '70s,
> mainly to stop the lefty political movements and guerrillas.

But is life there better now than it was then?  (probably)  What would
life be like in those countries now if the communist dictators were
still in power.  War and conflicts are hell, but it's sometimes
necessary for a better future.

> Some 30000 souls were tortured and killed or dissapeared only in
> Argentina. It was easier, cheaper and cleaner that an open invasion.
> Some friends of mine who traveled to the US were surprised nobody knew
> about that, and in fact, many got offended at the sole mention.

We don't really want to know about it, just let us live our normal,
happy lives. (sad)

> In fact, I believe US is not an hostile nation, but it has an hostile
> government, and certainly, and isolationistic population. I find very
> hard to believe that the common US citizen would be proud of what US
> government does in / with foreing countries if they _actually knew_
> what it happens outside.

If we knew, we would not be so proud.  But maybe these things the
government does, that we don't want to know about, is best for the
future.  I know they have made many mistakes, and I think we should know
and understand what's going on in the world and why.  Then we would
stand a better chance of electing better representatives to our
government.