Re: General Java question

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 08:27:43AM -0500, Kent West wrote:

| One the campus site I mentioned above, we are using a content management
| system called EGrail. It has a Visual Content Editor (which allows you
| to edit the text on web pages you want to publish, and has been
| described to me as similar to MS-Word), which starts loading, and then
| crashes Mozilla quite ungracefully everytime. No warning, no red lights
| or sirens; just BOOM, and Mozilla is gone. No damage either; I can
| restart Moz and continue with life. According to the specs I received,
| this is what's needed (mayhaps "LiveConnect" is the issue?):

What happens if you run mozilla from a shell?  Do you see any messages
on stdout/stderr?  Does a java_err* (or something like that) file get
created in the cwd?  I've seen java crash before under various
circumstances.  For example :
    o   galeon, blackdown jdk 1.3, HP JetDirect management tool
        (point the browser at a jetdirect box and play around in the
        gui, eventually it'll crash in some part of the motif
        libraries)

    o   Sun's jdk 1.1.8 on Solaris 8 (SPARC) -
        Run the "InstallAnywhere" installer generated for the product
        my previous co-op employer released.  It causes a SEGV in the
        motif libs, IIRC.  Run it with jdk 1.2 and it works.  The
        funniest part about that is they only officially supported jdk
        1.1.8 for the product (due to other libs, etc).

    o   Sun's jdk (various versions) running on Solaris 8 (SPARC)
        Xhosted back through an ssh tunnel to Debian/XFree86
        (sometimes works really horribly with the display and has
        major problems, I think it even dies.  who knows why?)

| Thanks for the response Tom; I'm not really looking for any specific
| answers. I was just trying to get a general feel for if my Java woes
| over the past couple of years have been caused by shortcomings in
| Debian, in Java for Linux, or in the web sites using non-standard stuff.

Java isn't all that Sun's marketing folks say it is.  I've crashed
jvms quite a bit.  I'm no longer surprised when java applets don't
work all that well.  (the VNC java applet works great, though)

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time