General Java question

Sometimes when I go to sites that are dependent on Java (like my school's main web-accessible database/portal, and like www.popcap.com for games, etc) the features on that site don't work as they should. Is this because:

1) These sites are using non-standard Java features that only work with a few browsers/OSes?

or

2) Java for Linux is buggy/broken/missing features?

or

3) Because I don't have my Debian box/Java configured properly?

or

4) Some other cause?

Thanks for any insight!

Kent