Re: General Java question

Tom Cook wrote:

On  0, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Sometimes when I go to sites that are dependent on Java (like my school's main web-accessible database/portal, and like www.popcap.com for games, etc) the features on that site don't work as they should. Is this because:

1) These sites are using non-standard Java features that only work with a few browsers/OSes?

or

2) Java for Linux is buggy/broken/missing features?

or

3) Because I don't have my Debian box/Java configured properly?

or

4) Some other cause?

Sorry, Kent, my psychic function is a bit on the blink at the moment.
Sorry; I guess I was rather vague.

Which browser are you using?

Usually Mozilla; currently Moz 1.0RC2.

Which Java do you have installed?  Kaffe?  Blackdown?  Sun?  1.2?
1.3?  1.1.x?  1.3.1?

On this machine, "about|plugins" reports "Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS".

What features are the websites trying to use (Swing?  AWT?)

Good question. I don't have any specifics for you that you can get to; the big one I'm seeing is stuff on my college's main web-accessible database which is password protected. I was having problems with the game Atomica on www.popcap.com up until yesterday, but today it seems to be working fine. I don't think I've updated my Debian box since yesterday. Go figure.

Which version of Java do the websites say you need?
One the campus site I mentioned above, we are using a content management system called EGrail. It has a Visual Content Editor (which allows you to edit the text on web pages you want to publish, and has been described to me as similar to MS-Word), which starts loading, and then crashes Mozilla quite ungracefully everytime. No warning, no red lights or sirens; just BOOM, and Mozilla is gone. No damage either; I can restart Moz and continue with life. According to the specs I received, this is what's needed (mayhaps "LiveConnect" is the issue?):

According to the Edit-on-Pro Website, the WYSIWYG editor needs _Java VM with JDK 1.1 support or better to run. _ Here is some more information I got off their site in case it is helpful.

*/edit-on Pro /**> _Product Info_ > System Requirements

Browser for editing*     ·Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x
·Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
·Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
·Netscape Navigator 4.7 or newer
·Netscape 6.1 or newer
·Mozilla 0.9.4 or newer
·Other browsers with Java 1.1 applet support

*Platform/OS supported* ·Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
·Linux 2.x
·Sun Solaris
·Apple MacOS 9 (IE 5 and IE 5.1, workaround required, no LiveConnect)
·Apple MacOS X.1 (only IE 5.1, all related service packs must be installed, no LiveConnect)
·Other platforms with Java 1.1 capable browsers

*General* ·Java VM with JDK 1.1 support or better
·Java and JavaScript must be enabled by the user
·The /edit-on Pro /JavaScript API will only work with OS/Browser combinations that support LiveConnect

*Client Hardware* ·600 MHz Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon CPU
·128 MB RAM

*Server Hardware* ·Any dynamic web application server In general, every OS/browser/JavaVM combination which supports at least JDK 1.1 should work. To be able to use the JavaScript API of /edit-on Pro/ however, the OS/browser/JavaVM combination must support "LiveConnect". "LiveConnect" means communicating between JavaScript and a Java applet within a Web browser.

Please note, current Mac browsers do not support "LiveConnect". Therefore, the JavaScript API will not work on MacOS platforms. However, in addition to JavaScript there is another way to interface (GET/POST) with the /edit-on Pro/ applet using direct HTTP requests which also works on MacOS. It is recommended to always use the most recent Java VM available. Hardware requirements depend very much on the platform and on the speed of the JVM implementation.

Thanks for the response Tom; I'm not really looking for any specific answers. I was just trying to get a general feel for if my Java woes over the past couple of years have been caused by shortcomings in Debian, in Java for Linux, or in the web sites using non-standard stuff.

Thanks!

Kent