Re: bringing up multiple pc-card interfaces

On Sun, 26 May 2002 03:03:03 -0600
"Dave Price" <davep@kinaole.org> wrote:

> It work, except that on boot the system trys to start the network before
> the cardservices are ready.
>
> I have the configurations of eth0 and eth1 in /etc/interfaces as static.

I suspect you have the interfaces listed as "auto" in /etc/interfaces?

> Even after the cards are recognized, using ifconfig eth0 up, etc does no
> seem to set the interface(s) up right ... so far, poping the cards out
> an in appears to be the only reliable? way to get them to set up.

I found that when I had the "auto" entry listed in /etc/interfaces, I got
the same results you are describing.  Mainly because the network attempts
to start and bring up the "auto" interfaces on it's own prior to pcmcia
having started.  This, I believe, leaves the interface in a malconfigured,
but present state.  You can confirm this by running "ifdown <interface>"
followed by "ifup <interface>".  That should work, but a simply "ifup
<interface>" will return an error about the interface already being
present or some such.  I found if I removed the "auto" entry for the
interface from /etc/interfaces, all was well (at least on my laptop and my
wife's).  The network would start up and not try to bring up my pcmcia
interface (eth0).  Then when pcmcia started, it would recognize the card
and bring it up.

Is this possibly a configuration bug that should be reported to the
maintainer?

--
Jamin W. Collins