bringing up multiple pc-card interfaces

Hi,

I am setting up an ancient laptop as a firewall system.

It work, except that on boot the system trys to start the network before
the cardservices are ready.

I have the configurations of eth0 and eth1 in /etc/interfaces as static.

Even after the cards are recognized, using ifconfig eth0 up, etc does no
seem to set the interface(s) up right ... so far, poping the cards out
an in appears to be the only reliable? way to get them to set up.

I would like to have card services start _very_ early in the boot
sequence, then have the two cards (xirc2ps_cs and pcnet_cs, both
modules) loaded and assigned to the correct interfaces automatically.

Is there a correct (debian) way to do this?

aloha,
dave