Re: bringing up multiple pc-card interfaces

On 26-May-2002 Dave Price wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up an ancient laptop as a firewall system.
>
> It work, except that on boot the system trys to start the network before
> the cardservices are ready.
>
> I have the configurations of eth0 and eth1 in /etc/interfaces as static.
>
> Even after the cards are recognized, using ifconfig eth0 up, etc does no
> seem to set the interface(s) up right ... so far, poping the cards out
> an in appears to be the only reliable? way to get them to set up.
>
> I would like to have card services start _very_ early in the boot
> sequence, then have the two cards (xirc2ps_cs and pcnet_cs, both
> modules) loaded and assigned to the correct interfaces automatically.
>
> Is there a correct (debian) way to do this?
>
> aloha,
> dave
>

> --

this is my /etc/pcmcia/network.opts

# Note: the "network address" here is NOT the same as the IP address.
# See the Networking HOWTO.  In short, the network address is the IP
# address masked by the netmask.
#
case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,*)
    ;;
esac

# This tries to use Debian's network setup in /etc/network/interfaces
# if no settings are given higher up in this file.  You can delete it
# if that isn't desired.

is_true $PUMP || is_true $BOOTP || is_true $DHCP || is_true $DHCLIENT || \
if [ ! "$IPADDR" -a -f /etc/network/interfaces ] ; then
    INFO="Debian network setup"
    start_fn () {
        log /sbin/ifup $1
    }
    stop_fn () {
        log /sbin/ifdown $1
    }
fi

all of the work is done in /etc/network/interfaces.

I moved a lot of the init script to later in the boot process to accomodate
pcmcia and moved pcmcia up a bit.  update-rc.d is your friend.