Re: Proble - XFree86 4.2 and ATI 3D Rage LT Pro

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 00:24, allmail wrote:
> Dear Peter
>
> We have experienced a lot of trouble with the Debian distro in terms of
> establishing a GUI as well.  Debian is not too bad as a server but is fairly
> woeful for the desktop at this moment.  Our opinion is that there is a need
> to totally revisit X-Windows and possibly when this movement has gained a
> bit more momentum this serious impediment to getting Debian Linux to the
> desktop will be addressed.  It seems to us that there is not only a problem
> with hardware detection but also the various graphics related routines are
> excessively demanding on processor power resulting in a slow machine.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm running XFree86 at such a rate
here that I can play Quake III Arena (yes, on Linux) at 90fps at
1024x768x32bit colour.

My PC is an 800MHz P3 with 256MB RAM, and a GeForce2 MX graphics card.
No speed demon, but no slouch, either.

The only problem I've found with Debian's XFree86 installation is that
there's no hardware detection - other than that, "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86" is one of the most sane and user-friendly methods of
getting yourself cooking on gas that I've seen.

I had extreme problems with a Dell GX240 - but this was because XFree86
4.1, that's shipped with Debian Woody, doesn't understand the ATI Rage
128 Ultra TF. XFree86 4.2 does.

*This is not a problem in Debian*.

Every operating system has hardware that is not *yet* supported.

> We found that Mandrake Linux is very good for getting a GUI onto difficult
> subjects such as laptops for example.  If you use Mandrake, you will almost
> certainly achieve your objective of having Linux run on the Compaq.  If you
> are very technical, you can then reverse engineer how Mandrake achieved this
> feat and copy the various drivers/config files across to Debian to get it to
> work.  Good luck.

Mandrake is...erm... *interesting*. And not in a good way. But that's
beyond the scope of this list.

I've got Debian Sid running on a truly horrible little laptop - the Acer
Travelmate 508DX. All the hardware is supported - nasty NeoMagic
graphics, nasty Intel I810 sound, nasty CardBus controller, the lot.

And the amazing (or not, depending on your point of view) thing is that
all this *worked first time*.

Peter
--
Peter Whysall