Re: Proble - XFree86 4.2 and ATI 3D Rage LT Pro

On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 02:35, Russ Cook wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario that I'm promoting from my kid's
> windows machine to my Linux machine (he got a new, faster machine).
> I tried installing the Debian X packages for version 4.1, but
> could not get it to run.  I'm using a 3D Rage LT Pro.
>
> The sympton is that when I run startx, the screen goes black.
> It doesn't fault out and return to text mode - it just remains
> black.  I've identified the window manager to use, and have tried
> changing the window manager.  I've attached the XFree86 log file.
>
> I have XWindows successfully running on another machine, with
> a different video card.
>
> Can anyone help?

Have you tried "XFree86 -configure" then "XFree86 -xf86config <whatever
it called the resultant file>" as root?

This was the only way I got XFree86 4.2 to talk sense to the ATI Rage
128 Ultra TF in the Dell Optiplex GX240 at work.

Take care,

Peter.

--
Peter Whysall