get XFree on one screen

I have Debian on an antique machine and have Xfree86 and gnome running. However the only device I could get to run was the VGA16 and it seems to recognize the 640x480 modeline configuration but repors thatit is running in virtual 800x600 mode.In the mode the screen does not fit on the monitor and scrolls when the mouse gets to the edge of the monitor screen. is there ant\y way to get the image on one screen?

I would like to play with KDE. Is there a Debian release or do Debian people only use Gnome?