Re: Safe, secure mail relay

* dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> [25-05-2002 13:03]:
> It's possible.  What are you trying?
>
> I think there are 2 ways of doing this :
>     1)  ssh to the box and run a mua there.  This is no different from
>         sitting at the machine's console.  (this is what I do since I
>         use a curses MUA in the first place)
>
>     2)  use an ssh to tunnel SMTP traffic and thus the MTA sees a TCP
>         connection from the loopback interface.

I use my notebook everywhere and sometimes connect it to internet with
dial up or non trusted LAN. I'd like to let exim queue every mail I
write and only try to send them when I bring the ssh-tunnel up and
execute something like exim -q. My problem is that I couldn't make exim
believe that a local port is the remote relay host. I tryied to
configure exim with the option 2 at eximconfig (remote relay host) and use
localhost:ssh_redirected_port as my smart host but It sends me a mail
saying that localhost is a local address and doesn't deliver the message :(

Carlos

--