Re: Safe, secure mail relay

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 07:46:16PM -0400, Daniel D Jones wrote:
| I can receive mail just fine but, since I certainly don't want to
| host an open relay, I can't send mail from my laptop.

Solutions are :
    o   remote-login to the system and work from there
        (if your link is fast enough then you can use X-over-ssh if
        you dislike mutt so much)

    o   SMTP AUTH
        configure the SMTP server to handle the "AUTH" extension
        (defined in RFC 2821, IIRC) to allow arbitrary hosts to
        authenticate and thus be allowed to relay.

    o   POP-before-SMTP
        another authentication mechanism whereby the server requires
        you to first access your POP box (and authenticate) and then
        assumes that, for a short while, that same IP is still you
        and will allow SMTP relaying
        (I don't like this idea)

HTH,
-D

--

The righteous hate what is false,
but the wicked bring shame and disgrace.