Safe, secure mail relay

I'm running qmail as my mail server, running POP3 and SMTP.  Because I
occasionally travel on business, I have an address specifically for
remote access.  When I leave, I set up my normal accounts to copy to my
"travel account."  I access the account from my laptop.  The laptop is
sometimes plugged into a network and sometimes connected via a dial-up
connection. IP is, of course, variable and unpredictable.  I can receive
mail just fine but, since I certainly don't want to host an open relay,
I can't send mail from my laptop.  My current work-around is to ssh into
my server and send email via mutt.  I'd prefer, however, to be able to
send email from my normal email client.

Is there a ready solution to this?  Perhaps a modified SMTP setup where
access is controlled via a password?  I know that this breaks
compatibility with standard protocols, but I have no problem installing
custom client and server software if necessary or whatever hacks are
necessary to make this work.