Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:28:13PM -0700, Petro wrote:
| On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 10:15:45PM -0700, dman wrote:
| > |     Actually, just tar and cp.
| > A deb is an ar archive that contains two gzipped tarballs.  Thus you
| > first need ar to extract the tarballs, then gunzip to decompress them,
| > and then finally tar and cp to do the rest.
|
|     Yes, and with cp and tar I can either get a file from somewhere
|     else, or copy some files to a location where they will survive a
|     reinstall.

Oh, you're looking to salvage something from the wreckage before
scrapping it.  The comment above was about pulling files out of a .deb
with the intent of restoring the "wreckage" rather than scrapping it.
Reread the quoted text from Karl.

| > work...
| > |     Doesn't sound like it.
| > Building tweaked binary packages from the source package is really
| > easy, as long as your tweaks are major rewrites of the app or
| > something.
|
|     No, I meant it doesn't sound like a lot of work.

I didn't get that the first time.

-D

--

One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,