Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 10:15:45PM -0700, dman wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:08:48PM -0700, Petro wrote:
> | > If you need to pick things out of .debs, then you'll need a working
> | > dpkg. Or ar + tar ( & gzip if memory serves).
> |     Actually, just tar and cp.
> A deb is an ar archive that contains two gzipped tarballs.  Thus you
> first need ar to extract the tarballs, then gunzip to decompress them,
> and then finally tar and cp to do the rest.

    Yes, and with cp and tar I can either get a file from somewhere
    else, or copy some files to a location where they will survive a
    reinstall.

> | > Correction: Relatively easy, and a relatively large amount of
> work...
> |     Doesn't sound like it.
> Building tweaked binary packages from the source package is really
> easy, as long as your tweaks are major rewrites of the app or
> something.

    No, I meant it doesn't sound like a lot of work.

--
My last cigarette was roughly 30 days, 13 hours, 56 minutes ago.
YHBW