Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Petro wrote:

> > on Tue, May 21, 2002, Petro (petro@auctionwatch.com) wrote:
> > >     All I'm asking for at this point is something that the rest of the
> > >     Unix World has done forever, a statically linked /sbin/sh for
> > roots
> > >     use.
>
>     So it has been brought up before, over 2 years ago, and it's still
>     wrong?

It is not wrong, it just yields little protection.  Just from the disk
getting corrupted under an in core shell.  This will only be of benefit
if you need to keep your machine up about .99999 of the time.
Even then I ask:  You _want_ to keep your users going when your shared
libs are flakey???

Shared libs could implement a load_all_required_functions routine.
This would let a program getuid and act like it had static libs.

I just keep a rescue partition loaded with debian-base.  This
has lots of benefits.  And having your normal root environment is
nice in stressful situations.

rob                     Live the dream.