Re: Root SSH permitted by default (was: how does root run a graphical prog)

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:37:49PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 May 2002 19:01:50 +0100
> > "Colin Watson" <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Not in woody and sid, at least. See the paragraphs in
> > > /usr/share/doc/ssh/README.Debian headed "PermitRootLogin set to yes".
> >
> > Man, talk about a bad stance to take.  Personally, I'd say this is a bug
> > in the default configuration.  However, it appears that the package
> > maintainer does not agree:
>
> *sigh*
>
> Like the document says, regularly su'ing to root from an account makes
> compromising that account essentially equivalent to compromising root
> anyway. I don't see a problem with the default configuration, and nor do
> OpenSSH upstream.

... stood on the sidelines long enough ...

Here's my lack of understanding:

[a] ssh root@remote.system requires cracking only one (1) string:
    [1] root's password

[b] ssh mortal_user@remote.system requires cracking three (3) separate
strings:
    [1] mortal_user's username (without this, there is not even system
access);
    [2] mortal_user's password; and
    [3] root's password

Since _god_ on a given system is almost always root or administrator, I
fail to see how [a] can be considered at least as secure as [b].

What am I missing?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .