Re: Root SSH permitted by default (was: how does root run a graphical prog)

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:55:24PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:44:10PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Do you check for processes running under your uid every time you run su?
>
> There's (obviously) something I'm still missing here...  Why is that
> relevant?  su only raises the priviliges of a single session, as can
> be readily observed by opeining two xterms, running su in one, and
> trying to 'touch /bin/su' in the other.
>
> The only thing that I can think of is for someone to update your
> .bashrc (or whatever) with a line saying "alias su='/bin/su ;
> /tmp/do-something-evil'" (or directing su to an equivalent script),
> but even that would still be running do-something-evil outside of the
> su session and, therefore, as your normal account, not as root.

What about an alias for su to a script that appears to be su but
actually logs (or mails) the root password.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand