Root SSH permitted by default (was: how does root run a graphical prog)

On Mon, 20 May 2002 19:01:50 +0100
"Colin Watson" <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:37:28PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > ...unless you're on a system which is configured to disallow remote
> > root logins via ssh.  (Such as, say, the default Debian
> > configuration.)
>
> Not in woody and sid, at least. See the paragraphs in
> /usr/share/doc/ssh/README.Debian headed "PermitRootLogin set to yes".

Man, talk about a bad stance to take.  Personally, I'd say this is a bug
in the default configuration.  However, it appears that the package
maintainer does not agree:

DO NOT FILE BUG REPORTS SAYING YOU THINK THIS DEFAULT IS INCORRECT!

SSH should not be installed to permit root logins or password auth by
default.

--
Jamin W. Collins