Re: Root SSH permitted by default (was: how does root run a graphical prog)

* Michael D. Schleif (mds@helices.org) [020521 12:10]:
> Here's my lack of understanding:
>
> [a] ssh root@remote.system requires cracking only one (1) string:
>     [1] root's password
>
> [b] ssh mortal_user@remote.system requires cracking three (3) separate
> strings:
>     [1] mortal_user's username (without this, there is not even system
> access);
>     [2] mortal_user's password; and
>     [3] root's password
>
> Since _god_ on a given system is almost always root or administrator, I
> fail to see how [a] can be considered at least as secure as [b].
>
> What am I missing?

The point is that once you have [b1] and [b2], [b3] is as easy to get
by dropping in a new '~/bin/su' which will read a password, pretend to
the user that there was a typo, read it again, email you the password,
delete itself, and then perform the real /bin/su.

The idea is that a user account which often su's is as good as a root
account. One that often sudo's is even easier (if you actually have the
password and not just a backdoor of some sort).

So this boils down to [b] is better because of [b1], which I think we'll
all agree isn't *that* difficult to get, if you know anyone who has an
account on the machine, or even just patience and a watchful eye.
Generally usernames aren't kept super-super secret.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml