Re: Debian on an old system

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:01:16AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
| Thanks to everyone who's already responded. Rather than quote 5
| differenet messages, I'll just spit out the questions here.
|
| While a GUI would be nice in terms of ease of use, the primary use is
| going to be in a muffler shop, so a mouse wouldn't survive long anyway.
| That leaves me with ncurses and from what I've read on here so far, it
| sounds like that should run ok, even on the 486 with 8 megs of RAM.

I've got a Debian box here -- 486SX, 25Mhz, 8MB RAM, 230MB hard drive,
2 10BaseT NICs.  It handles the routing and masquerading quite well.
The only problem it has is with only 8MB of RAM it tends to thrash a
lot when doing "real" work.  I can run vim, but it takes a noticeable
amount of time to startup.  Running apt or dpkg requires taking a
break :-).

| The remaining question is what can I do in terms of data storage/access.
| MySQL would be easy enough to work with, but what about performance? Can
| the systems handle MySQL? Unfortunately, my data storage experience is
| limited so I'm looking at either a premade solution (e.g. MySQL) or a
| flat file.

The 486s and PPros should work just fine for you as long as they have
enough memory.  CPU speed isn't the real bottleneck, even though the
CPU manufacturers would have consumers think otherwise.  The real
bottleneck is memory.  I haven't tried running a SQL db on this 486,
but I do know that exim can handle some load on it, but it can also
take down the system (if I let it overload the system so that the
kernel starts killing things to save itself).

-D

--

Microsoft encrypts your Windows NT password when stored on a Windows CE
device. But if you look carefully at their encryption algorithm, they

http://www.cegadgets.com/artsusageP.htm