Re: Recommended tape backup software

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 18:18, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya
[snip]
> 	- tons of problems with tapes for "large amount of data"...

You get what you pay for.  At work, we use DLTs, and _never_
have problems, as long as we run the cleaning tape weekly.
Part of the reason is that DLT drives are made well, and another
reason is that these drives have hardware ECC.

> 	- i prefer disks for backups... fast, easy, cheap and
> 	(offline) live backups

On a production box of any size, that is totally impractical.
Tapes are, by their nature, removable, whereas, IDE disks are
not.  SCSI disks are, but a 72GB disk is _way_ expensive.
So, on a box the size we use at work, in order to have a month
of backups, you'd need 90 72GB SCSI disks. No fscking way!!
90 DLT4 tapes, on the other hand, is expensive, but affordable.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |