abcde rips to wav, then hangs

i'm trying to use abcde to convert my cds to mp3s.  i haven't done
this in about a year, but last spring it worked fine on this box.
haven't changed anything but the versions of abcde and its components
have changed as i've been updating (running a potato-woody hybrid,
heavy on the latter).  with OUTPUTTYPE specified as mp3 in
~/.abcde.conf, running `abcde` rips all the tracks to .wav, and then
hangs.

i have:
abcde v.2.0.3
cdparanoia 3v9.8
lame v3.92
id3v2 0.1

and updated cdparanoia libraries

it's also not really paying attention to the info it grabs
from cddb.

i can get around this by

for i in track{1..10}; do
  lame $i.wav $i.mpe;
  done

and could just script up the whole process to use cdparanoia to rip
and lame to compress, but that strikes me as kludgy, and i'd prefer to
get abcde working again.  i've looked through the archives of this
list and can't locate any relevant problems -- anyone experienced this
or know what i might be doing wrong?

tia,

</nori>

--