Re: cron entries missing in /etc/init.d and /usr/sbin/cron (potato)

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:32:14AM -0700, justin cunningham wrote:
> What happened to cron?  None of the cron services are running.  Man cron
> says do /etc/init.d/cron start but cron is only found in the following
> files. Dpkg says cron isn't installed; I can grab it with apt but 1. why
> is it missing 2. if the cron package wasn't installed why do I have cron
> directories? 3. if it was removed; can anyone propose a good reason for
> purging such a useful package?  thanks, justin

Going out on a limb here, but you could take a look at your logs. You
should be able to see where cron is logging to by looking at
/etc/syslog.conf . This should hopefully tell you if cron was installed.

> /etc/apache/cron.conf
> /etc/cron.d
> /etc/cron.d/mrtg
> /etc/cron.d/vpopmail-bin
> /etc/cron.daily
> /etc/cron.daily/apache
> /etc/cron.daily/calendar
> /etc/cron.daily/find
> /etc/cron.daily/man-db
> /etc/cron.daily/modutils
> /etc/cron.daily/netbase
> /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd
> /etc/cron.weekly
> /etc/cron.weekly/man-db
> /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd
> /usr/bin/dh_installcron
> /usr/bin/ezmlm-cron
> /usr/share/doc/apache/examples/cron.conf
> /usr/share/doc/passwd/passwd.expire.cron.gz
> /usr/share/man/man1/dh_installcron.1.gz
> /usr/share/man/man1/ezmlm-cron.1.gz

Searcing on the Debian packages page, you will see that a lot of
packages have, for example, /etc/cron.daily, and some of them do not
depend on cron.

-Andy