Re: loopback absent in routing table

also sprach Judith Elaine Bush <debian@grey-cat.com> [2002.05.18.2325 +0200]:
> Looking at the output of route, we note that there is no entry for
> destination 127.0.0.0 nor any entry for Iface=lo.
>
> We tried the command
> 	$ route add -net 127.0.0.0
> and got the error
> 	SIOCADDRT: invalid argument.
>
> We looked at the ifconfig output for the lo device and noted that
> there is no broadcast IP and that BROADCAST isn't running.
>
> Is this a problem we need to fix?

no. the loopback interface implicitly defines the route, and what good
does broadcast do on the localhost net?

alternatively to installing a DNS server, you might want to look into
adding IPaddress-name pairs into /etc/hosts to solve the resolving
problems that tcp-wrappers cause when reverse DNS isn't working.

"a compliment is like a kiss through a veil."
                                                        -- victor hugo