Re: home "network"

Shawn Lamson <madzimambo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Issuing ifconfig eth1 down and then ifconfig eth1 up on the host
> seems to resolve the problem.  However I am not usually around when
> people want to get online and i dont want them fiddling with the
> host - that is the whole idea of having the client.

For the sake of clarification:

INTERNET <------> [ Router / Host A ] <-------> [  Host B ]
                  eth0           eth1           eth0
                  192.0.0.0  10.0.0.0           10.0.0.0

> Anyone know what causes this and a remedy?

The first question that comes to mind is whether or not it *ever*
worked prior to the "ifconfig eth1 down; ifconfig eth1 up"? That is,
was the NIC up in the first place?

If the setup works fine, then Host B restarts and isn't able to
connect, a possible troubleshooting tip is to run tcpdump on Host A on
eth1 (tcpdump -i eth1) and also on Host B and see what is going on.

Elizabeth