home "network"

Hi -

I have two Debian machines linked on ethernet "straight thru" cable.
The host machine is up 24/7 and has a aDSL connection on eth0 w/
192.x.x.x
and eth1 is 10.x.x.x and the client machine is turned on once every
couple days for people to access the internet when they want, it is
also on 10.x.x.x ... now the problem.
Frequently when the client fires up it is not able to connect to the
host.
Issuing ifconfig eth1 down and then ifconfig eth1 up on the host seems
resolve the problem.  However I am not usually around when people want
to get online and i dont want them fiddling with the host - that is the
whole idea of having the client.

Anyone know what causes this and a remedy?

TIA

=====
Shawn Lamson
Debian/GNU Linux Woody
Kernel 2.2.19pre17
XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Jesus Loves You!