Re: Mounting symbolic links

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 11:50:27AM +0200, Jan Exss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some trouble getting filessytems mountet that are symbolic links
> only. I have some scripts running that copy specific files from cdroms
> into specific directories within my home area. These scripts must be run
> on different machines (hosted by different OSs) from time to time. The
> problem is the not standarized mount point for the cdrom device.
>
> Solaris:	/cdrom/cdrom0
> Red Hat:	/mnt/cdrom
> Debian:		/cdrom
>
> Therefore, I have a symbolic link in all my home directories pointing to
> the reall mount point. The link is called "cdrom". So I usually do like
> this:
>
> $ cd
> $ mount cdrom/
>
> This worked fine on Debian since hamm or somewhat earlier. Now that I
> switched to woody, it says like:
>
> mount: can't find /home/jexss/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>
> This is, in fact, correct, since /home/jexss/cdrom is a symbolic link
> only. Anyway: Why can't I mount the cdrom drive that way anymore? Is that
> kind of a security feature or did I just miss the point? I couldn't find
> anything in the manual pages.
>
> Someone who can help me?

I would have thought that the current behaviour was correct and would
have been the same under any version of Debian.  Perhaps your
/etc/fstab has changed?

> Thanks a lot,
> Jan.
>
>   Jan Exss
>   Geophysical Institute
>   University of Karlsruhe, Germany
>   phone:  +49 (0)721 608-4679
>   mailto: jan.exss@gpi.uni-karlsruhe.de

FYI, it's common practice to prepend your .sig with a --\n, i.e. two
dashes on their own line, followed by a newline, to clearly demarcate
your post.