Re: After upgrading kernel I lost my CDROM

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:35:05PM -0700, Edward Kleckner wrote:
| I have been running a version of woody from Feb 28, 2002 on a 686
| machine using the 2.2.19 kernel that was installed from a potato cdrom
| set and then the software was updated from another cdrom set to
| woody.  Everything was working fine for many days, but xcdroast
| complained about cdrecord not working since it needed a 2.4 kernel.
| So finally tonight I did an apt-get install kernel-2.4.17-686 and that
| went fine and is what I'm using now. HOWEVER, when I try to access the
| cdrom drive I get the following in dmesg:

The 2.4 kernel has the ide cdrom driver compiled as a module.  Add
'ide-cd' to /etc/modules and all will be restored at the next reboot.
Just modprobe that module now to use the cd before the next power
cycle.

-D

--

"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."