Re: Disabling startx in gdm

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:07:55PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> On 2002.05.08 19:02 Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> >
> >Hi again
> >Sorry about this, but this is not disabelig gdm, it's remowing it.
>
> Go to /etc/init.d/gdm and edit the script by putting
>
> exit 0
>
> on a line by itself, after the shebang (after the line with #!/bin/sh)
> That will disable the script.
>
> You can also keep the script from running at boot time without disabling
> the script itself, by doing as root:
>
> update-rc.d -f gdm remove

The above will work as intended - until you upgrade gdm. Then the
symlinks will re-appear. man update-rc.d(8).

However, if you leave a single symlink in place (e.g. one of the K*gdm
ones), then an upgrade will not reinstate the symlinks.

My preferred solution is just to do the "exit 0" trick above. Easy to
do. Easy to undo. Keep it simple - (I'm a simple person).

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com