Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 12:20:44AM -0500, Ron wrote:
> Isn't that how everyone does it?  Even in Debian/woody, there
> are .conf files in more places than just the /etc tree.

Reading configuration (that the user might be expected to change) out of
anywhere other than /etc is considered a bug ...

> A Debian policy-that-I-think-is-a-quirk: there is the the concept
> of the meta-package.  mail-transport-agent is an example.  When,
> for example, you install exim, mail-transport-agent is also
> installed.  If you want to install postfix to test it out, apt
> will remove exim, since the exim & postfix packages are both
> members of the same meta-package.

That's a virtual package. (Meta-packages are something else - they're
real packages that exist for the sole purpose of depending on other
packages for convenience.) They do provide quite a lot of flexibility.