Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:

> Linux and low RAM boxes don't get along well.

Not sure what paralell universe that's from.  Linux runs on PDAs, for
chrissake.  8:o)  I ran ursine.dyndns.org on a 386 with 8MB RAM and
111MB of disk space (I was in high school and had to scrape together
scrap hardware to get that far...this was sick.  The onboard controller
was MFM/RLL, I had added an IDE controller, both had drives attached...I
took that box, which hadn't been booted in years, to a LAN party and
scared people with it when I raised the hood (old flip-open AT style
case that had a button on either side to release the case cover, which
flipped open like a car hood except it would go to perpendicular to the
rest of the case)), even installed hamm on it back then.  I've been
keeping the same install on every upgrade, though, just updating
packages and kernels.  Got bored earlier, and found an MP3 with a date
back from 1997 on it.  (mp3blaster is your friend when you want music on
a 386).

> couple of years I ran Linux, I did everything on the console.  My wife
> didn't know Linux had graphics, and referred to Linux as the "X-ray
> vision operating system."

I don't get it.

> They recently dumped inet for xinet.  Instead of having one configuration file
> in /etc/inetd.conf, they now have individual files per service in
> /etc/xinetd.d/.  I'm sure that makes sense to somebody, but it makes configuring
> it a real headache.

That just hurts...why would someone implement something in such an
obviously painful manner?

> message ID, are originating from my own box.  I'm guessing that they're either
> sending mail directly from their home system to my Sendmail program, using it as
> the MTA, which they aren't supposed to be able to do (relaying denied is set),
> or they've somehow hacked me and are originating spam mail from my computer.  I

IIRC, relaying is either enabled by default or overly-easy to enable in
one of Red Hat's GUI admin tools.  And if they're connecting to you
directly to send thier spam, they're not relaying, they're doing what
any other mail server would be doing.

> need an MTA that gives me more control over the mail in my system, including the
> ability to have copies of all mail that originates in my system sent to me by
> the MTA.

This is best done by hacking procmail into the message path on an
existing MTA, no MTA has this ability out of the box.

You'll probably like Debian's default, exim, which is easy to configure
and doesn't have relaying enabled by default.

> I started with 5.2 also.  Actually I tried Slackware first.  That was a
> nightmare.  How'd I know they'd expect me to keep a copy of my monitor refresh
> rates lying around?

Before I install X on any system, I go to monitorworld.com and look up
the data on the monitor, then use a magic marker to write it on the back
of the monitor if it's not already printed there.  I never could
understand why such a basic spec isn't printed right on the same label
as the make, model and FCC id.

--
Baloo