Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 23:49, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> dman writes:
> >On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:09:13PM -0500, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
[snip]
> >debian packages are much saner too -- for example try installing
> >python2 on a headless RH box *without* also installing the X server
> >and X font server.
>
> Package dependencies are a real killer.  Try installing XFree86 first.  It has
> dependencies, which in turn have dependency requirements, which also have them -
> 4 or 5 deep.  These of course conflict with other packages you already have
> installed.  Some packages you need use older libraries, others newer libraries.
> So you get to chose one or the other, or run different releases on different
> computers.

Yeah, that's why I dumped Mandrake...  It was _impossible_
to upgrade mdk8.0 from kde 2.2.1 to 2.2.2.  The RPM Hell
was infuriating.

Debian is _so_ easy in that regard.  Twice a week, do
a "apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade" and you're
home free.

[snip]
> You'll get plenty of those.  I've read through the list mail over the last
> couple of days.  There are noticeable differences in the language Debian users
> speak.  One user posted a question about finding configuration files.  I didn't
> respond because of the differences.  But on Red Hat you can find most
> configuration files with
>
> $ locate .conf
>
> For a specific program, such as proftp:
>
> $ locate .conf | grep proftp
> /etc/proftpd.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/proftpd.conf
> /etc/proftpd.conf.new
> /etc/proftpd1.conf
> /etc/proftpd.conf~
> /etc/proftpd1.conf~
> /home/glenlee/etc/proftpd.conf
> /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.2.5rc1/sample-configurations/complex-virtual.conf
> /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.2.5rc1/sample-configurations/PFTEST.conf.in
> /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.2.5rc1/sample-configurations/anonymous.conf
> /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.2.5rc1/sample-configurations/basic.conf
> /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.2.5rc1/sample-configurations/mod_sql.conf
> /usr/share/doc/proftpd-1.2.5rc1/sample-configurations/virtual.conf
>
> Guess I need to delete some files!

Isn't that how everyone does it?  Even in Debian/woody, there
are .conf files in more places than just the /etc tree.

[snip]
> That by itself is good enough for me to try it.  I absolutely dread Red Hat
> upgrades.  I don't know why they can't do it so you can just upgrade individual
> packages without having to re-install the whole system.  Most of the time when I
> upgrade I can guarantee that the box will be down for one to several days.  Ugh!

Note, though, that even with Debian, if a package requires, say,
perl5.6, and your old stable/Potato box only has perl5, you're
going to download a _whole_lot_ of dependant packages.

A Debian policy-that-I-think-is-a-quirk: there is the the concept
of the meta-package.  mail-transport-agent is an example.  When,
for example, you install exim, mail-transport-agent is also
installed.  If you want to install postfix to test it out, apt
will remove exim, since the exim & postfix packages are both
members of the same meta-package.  It won't let me manage
inetd.conf to make sure that 2 different programs are combating
for the same port.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |