Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 01:43, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
[snip]
> > They recently dumped inet for xinet.  Instead of having one configuration file
> > in /etc/inetd.conf, they now have individual files per service in
> > /etc/xinetd.d/.  I'm sure that makes sense to somebody, but it makes configuring
> > it a real headache.
>
> That just hurts...why would someone implement something in such an
> obviously painful manner?

Here's are the contents of /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
  service ftp
  {
	disable		= no
	id		= ftp-stream
	flags		= REUSE
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol	= tcp
	port		= 21
	wait		= no
	user		= root
	server		= /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
	server_args     = -l -a
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
  }

It's supposed to be more secure, and it logs to syslog which
services are bound to which ports, and logs if something fails
to initialize.  Also, it may be a bit more secure to not have to
edit inetd.conf for _everything_.  When you install a new package,
the pkg manager just creates a new file in /etc/xinetd.d.

All in all, though, I still prefer inetd.  Mdk must think it's
special, since they haven't shipped inetd since 7.1.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |