Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:38:36AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:13:51AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> This sounds like the exact same mechanism used by moderated
> >> newsgroups, but postings to muc.l.d.u don't seem to get mailed
> >> to the list.  Why not set up muc.l.d.u as a moderated group
> >> with postings going to the mailing list?
> >
> > Bidirectional mail<->news gatewaying is very delicate - get it wrong and
> > you'll have mail loops from hell. It's often simpler just to avoid the
> > issue.
>
> Right. That's why I'm not suggesting a bi-directional gateway
> (not in the traditional sense of the word).
>
> I'm suggesting a moderated group where postings that would
> normally go to the "moderator" directly to the mailing list.
> The gateway is still unidirectional: mail->news.

Yup, that's how everybody else does bidirectional gateways too. It's
bidirectional because the other half of the gateway is the system that
mails posts to the moderation address.

It's fine if you get it right and it's well-maintained - just pointing
out that the standard loop problem is probably why the newsadmin
responsible for the gateway hasn't set it up.